Posted on March 21, 2014

How to Get Married in Saudi Arabia


With so many expats in Saudi Arabia it is only natural that they to would go through the life milestones one of which is marriage. The problem with getting married in Saudi Arabia legally is that it isn’t as easy as you may think. Regardless of your religious beliefs, getting married in a Saudi Arabia court means you are getting married the Islamic way. There are a lot of very confusing sites that make the process a lot harder than it really is. Some people will say that they got married in Saudi Arabia by simply visiting a Sheikh and paying a small
fee and they were done. That unfortunately, is not a LEGAL marriage it is a religious marriage that doesn’t hold up in any courtroom and is not legally recognized in Saudi Arabia.

I’ve decided to make this very easy-to wed guide for all you venturing on to the married life.
The first determinant of how to get married in Saudi Arabia LEGALLY is to establish who’s getting married. Because depending on the couples individuals status, things may change, so look for the below criteria that fits you best and follow.


Depending on where you are from you may be able to avoid the Saudi Courts altogether. If your embassy/consulate has a functioning marriage service then all you have to do is contact your embassy and perform the marriage at the embassy.
•  Many embassies do not have this service so you need to verify with your specific embassy
•  Most embassies will not perform marriage to partners of different nationalities
•  There is a fee associated with the service and must be booked in advance (plan wisely)
Once you have completed the marriage at your respective embassy and obtained the official documents you then need to notify the Saudi officials to recognize your marriage. Bringing all documentation to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get it attested does this. Once completed you can take your attested documents to The Ministry of Interiors to obtain a family card and change the status of your iqamas to married. If transferring sponsorship of wife this can also be done here.


Not recognized or legal in Saudi Arabia.


You will have to get married through the Saudi Courts this is quickly done but the paperwork is plenty and the process very detailed.
•  Both parties must be present. 2 witnesses are required and the female’s father must also be
•  If the female’s father is not present then someone in place must be appointed by her father
legally buy completing a form of “marriage authorization”
•  The female must also have her sponsor complete a form “no objection” and stamp it.
•  Once all forms are complete you will need to get the forms translated by an authorized
translator. (You can obtain a list from the courts of authorized translator services)
•  Now that all your paperwork is complete and in “ARABIC” then you your partner and the
appropriate appointed people can make your ways to the courts.
•  No appointment is necessary it is very simple and it is first come, first serve so arrive early!


The key to this union is that the male will have to get pre-approval from the courts before being allowed to marry a woman of different nationality. This woman does not have to be Muslim, but will be encouraged to convert. The process of approval is said to differ between
individuals, but overall is quid simple. Once approval is granted:


Currently this issue is still being debated. It is very hard for a Saudi female to marry outside her nationality. It is frowned upon within the culture but even more troublesome is that the courts also frown it upon. It is not impossible but the approval process is much more difficult.
Some of the forms that were mentioned:












If have any person-specific questions about this issue, feel free to ask!

Much Love,

You Might Also Like

Got something add?

  • Anonymous April 1, 2014 at 4:16 am

    Thanks for the info. I have an iqamah and my fiancé is coming for umrah with her brother who's her wali. can we get married in Saudi courts? thanks for any help.

    • Gina April 1, 2014 at 3:43 pm

      From what I know to be true, unfortunately both you and your fiancé must be iqaama holders residing in Saudi Arabia to marry in the Saudi Courts.

    • Gina October 9, 2015 at 12:23 pm

      If she is not a resident of Saudi Arabia then they are reluctant to process her marriage. You can try, I advise you to visit the courts in your city to make sure.

      Good luck !

    • annoymous September 2, 2016 at 11:05 am

      Hi how to know if a person is married here in riyadh? And what happen if a person is pregnant w/o married here? I just want to know.. thank you.

  • Anonymous April 17, 2014 at 9:05 pm

    Thanks for the info.
    I understand both must be iqama holders, does the sponsor have to be involved too? What if i dont want them involved. Also if the woman is 33 does she still need the father to sign the no objection.


    • Gina October 9, 2015 at 12:20 pm

      The sponsor is only involved in the female’s side. Regardless of the women’s age she is still required to have her permission to wed completed by her father. This is only exempt when she has been previously married and is now divorced, no permission is needed. If the women is not working then no sponsors will be involved.

      Hope that helps
      Good luck!

      • yas March 6, 2016 at 3:55 pm

        Hi if you can please advice, me and my fiance are from 2 different country and will be coming to umrah with my dad. We wanted to get my nikah done how is that possible? Islamic marriage is more simple right can I atleast get a certificate to be recognised in the UK?

  • Zakia October 19, 2015 at 7:27 pm

    Hi, your info really help me a lot. I have a many question in my mind that was answer by your article 3.

    • Zaid September 26, 2016 at 4:25 pm

      O really?

  • BLUE EP December 4, 2015 at 10:27 am

    Assalamualaykum Warakmahtullahi Walbarakatuh….. I am married before but my husband is already dead almost six years ago, and now we want to marry with my muslim fiancee( with different nationality). What are the requirements? Should I submit the death certificate of my husband?

  • lone soul December 21, 2015 at 7:38 am

    I want to get married to a canadian divorcee girl here in saudi arabia and i am an indian
    do the girl need any wali and now as per changes in marriage law by “moj”… we dont require to get married in court but special immam is appointed for the process at home…please advice

  • lone soul December 21, 2015 at 8:04 am

    I want to get married to a canadian divorcee girl here in saudi arabia and i am an indian
    do the girl need any wali and now as per changes in marriage law by “moj”… we dont require to get married in court but special imam is appointed for the process at home…please advice

  • Rana January 27, 2016 at 10:46 am

    Asslam O Alikum! i m a muslim boy from Pakistan and wants to marry with a christian phlipino girl, can u guide me what is the process and she is ready to become muslim.. his brother is also here. Please guide me. Thank You

    • Oladejo Azeez kayode October 26, 2016 at 6:29 am

      wa alaykum salam, no nikah except with the permission of the walli (the father to the girl, brother or relative that’s authorized to give her for marriage).since she’s ready to practice islam with you then follow the due step by seeking her from her walli.
      barakallahu fik.

  • hussain April 24, 2016 at 12:37 pm

    Like to know the following:

    May I know that a foreigner Asian male – Pakistani can get marry with the same country visotr girl in Saudi Arabia.
    thanks and regards.

  • Asim May 28, 2016 at 9:28 pm

    I have lost my marriage certificate and i just need to re print it. I was married in saudi arabia and i do have the copies of my marriage certificate can you please high light me on the procedure so that i can get that. appreciate your quick reply

  • Asim May 28, 2016 at 10:17 pm

    I have lost my marriage certificate and i would like to get it once again. I was married in saudi arabia. and i have the copies of my marriage certificate appreciate if you could guide me on how i can get this once again or re printing it

  • Hassan June 16, 2016 at 9:44 pm

    Sir i am an engineer iqama holder in Saudi Arabia. My nationality in Pakistani. I want to marry a girl from Morocco. She wants to come to me in Saudi Arabia and we want to marry in Saudi Arabia. Please guide me how she can come here for marrying me and also tell me the required documents. Please reply thank you.

  • Efren Castor July 2, 2016 at 9:12 pm

    Thanks a lot for your info.. I just want to know what are the requirements in marrying here in Saudi.. Me and my fiance are both muslim.. I’ve heard a lot of different answers thats why i dont know whats the truth..
    Can you please help me..

  • Jameel Sangalang July 24, 2016 at 1:59 pm


    I would like to ask if you know the specific location or the Saudi court which conducts marriage here in Riyadh? I’ve been searching for it for almost a week now, I went to the general court in Dirah and Supreme court near Riyadh Gallery and they were all pointing me towards the location of Kingdom Hospital, but unknown exact location! Please help!

  • Anonymous ab July 29, 2016 at 4:07 am

    Hi. Thanks for the info… i have saudi boyfriend and i am filipina… he living in saudi and im here in phils.we planning to get marry in dubai… do u think is possible if we r not residence in dubai..tnx gb

  • Tartz August 26, 2016 at 5:13 am

    I am Pakistani as well British and on iqama it is written British and married. Girl is 35 divorced from Kenya with iqama. ?
    What exactly we require to get married and where. ? Please explain in detail.

  • Anonymous August 28, 2016 at 10:55 am

    Good day. I would like to ask where can wehave the authorization and no objection form? Is it a form or usually written by the father ? Or theres a form they will give and should filled it up?!? Thank you

    • Ashley November 21, 2016 at 7:53 am

      You can get it from Mahkamah or Sharia Court.

  • rowe September 1, 2016 at 1:40 pm

    To whom it may concern

    I want to ask after nikkah marriage. It is compulsory to register the marriage to the nearest embassy where we married? Or it can be done to my husband country.?We are different nationalities

  • Anonymous October 4, 2016 at 2:27 pm

    I just want to ask what we will do if my company will not issue a ‘ no objection certificate’ …and we want to get married in court …both of us have already an islam cert…have iqama and photopy of our passport….he is 42 and me is 39 years old….please help

  • jahangir khan October 12, 2016 at 3:38 am


    dear in my overseas id have a marriage status. but i am single by mistake my govt put in status. so any problem during marriage registration.

  • Jabeen October 21, 2016 at 1:45 pm

    Hi there,

    I am of dual nationality British Pakistani. I am here on a work visa but through my British nationality. My fiance lives and works in Bahrain on a work visa but he is Pakistani.

    We want to get married and we both want to live in Saudi Arabia. We want to get married in Bahrain as his family is all there and it is too long of a process to wait for them all to get a visa for saudi. My father is not able to travel. Can we get married in Bahrain and then apply for his visa to come to Saudi

  • Muhammad Mohsin December 22, 2016 at 9:45 am

    Sir i want marry with a girl in sudia. am from pakistan and also live in pakistan. But her live in sudia but from pakistan.. sir if the me get umrah visa. Then am do marry with her. Please sir reply me fast

  • Loading Facebook Comments ...
    Back to top